Yesterday ( Wednesday 3rd) Kris Wilson, an architect. Kris told us about a lot of helpful things that would really help us with our island.
I took a few notes using the "Dot Jot" method.
Here they are.
- They build mainly houses, but sometimes kindergartens, restaurants, and office blocks.
- Sustainable housing, is only one sort of housing, there are a lot more different types.
- He hopes to have sustainability housing get more and more popular.
- Most buildings take about 4-6 months to make but can last from 50 minimum-200 years.
- Most non sustainable houses make lots of CO2 (BAD BAD BAD)
- Sometimes you have to weigh up wether or not it is worthwhile to use a bit of CO2 in order to build a sustainable house.
- You should use local resources.
- It is not good to use resources that have been shipped and driven around th world, which uses a lot of CO2.
- Timber grows fast and is easy to build with.
- You should look at the life span of the product for example steel lasts longer than timber, but is it easier to build with?
- Using the sun for energy is "healthy" it is called "passive solar design"
- Het pumps are generally more efficient.
- Large concrete walls/floors are great for trapping heat inside the house.
- Ventillation stops moisture and heats your home during the winter.
- Cladding is better at stopping wet weather from getting in.
- Builders used to just throw all of their rubbish in a big skip, bu now we are getting better and better at recycling MOST of our materials.
- Concrete can be crushed and reused.
- "grey water systems are good for saving water, the water from your shower, comes down to your toilet and it gets flushed down "when you are ready" (EWW)!
- "You should use "restricted flow' Taps which only let out a certain amount of water each time you turn it on.
- PLANT TREES!
- Most people think Manmade = BAD Natural = GOOD But that is not ALWAYS the case!
- Steel is 100% recyclable!
- Sustainable buildings don't have to look "different".
- They can look EXACTLY like yours.
- Solar modelling is GOOD!
- Small is good.
- Houses don't have to be big!
They can be small, and comfy.
- Sun shines from the north.
- Double glazed windows are good beacause it doesn't let the heat out!
- In winter the sun is really high.
- In summer the sun is lower.
- Wind often comes from the south.
- Low windows on the south side of the building is good for letting cold air in if it is a hot day!
- The more insulation the better!
- Wider walls are goosd because they foit more insulation.
- Solar panels should face the north.
- Solar panels catch the sun, the heat heats up a box of water on the roof, HEATED WATER!
- Wetbacks heat water then the water comes around the fire and heats it!
- Hanging lights are better than the other type, because some people cut the insulation out where the light is and the heat escapes out there.
- Pine is not resistent ro mould E.T.C.
- Douglas fir is good because it is denser, but it grows slower.
- They make good christmas trees!
- Macracarpa trees are good for building.